Saturday 4 May 2024

The Irony of Viewers

 Wanna know one of the biggest ironies of modern YouTube viewers? They barely watch the videos but are always ready to share their opinion about them in the comments. I don't read comments nor do I interact in that section, but seeing the numbers can be very ironic. My community section is a perfect example: often I post my videos or my clips from my Q&A's (I upload these on my second channel) and there are more comments than likes. Some of them have hundreds of comments from people that didn't even watch the video and say something only based on the topics I mention or merely the damn thumbnail. 

Watchtime has been decreasing for every single content creator over the past few years. Subscription rate also went down. Not only because YouTube started deleting accounts that have been inactive for more than just 2 years, but also because people have lost interesting in subscribing to channels. There are many reasons why, of course, everyone's got their own. But the watchtime decreasing hurts every youtuber out there. Which is why I'm always telling people to watch the whole video or if they don't care, just leave it running in the background in another tab or something. People are so quick to click away nowadays that sometimes we feel like making videos is pointless. It's like they want to turn YouTube into TikTok. And they still have the nerve to express their opinion (be it positive or negative) about it? When they barely watched anything? Pathetic. This is the pathetic situation and the biggest irony of modern viewers in this day and age.

Don't be this type of entitled loser.