Monday 15 July 2024

Terra Gaiden and The Revenant Army

 


Today I'm celebrating the 10th Anniversary of two of my most beloved books out there. Terra Gaiden and The Revenant Army. Both were heavily inspired by JRPGs, most specifically by the Suikoden and the Fire Emblem series, two of my favorite videogame franchises of all time. 

A little bit of history:

Terra Gaiden was planned in 2013 because I wanted to move out of Mexico and try my chances as an author in another country. For some reason I chose Canada. So I started writing the book with the idea of moving there in 2014 and take it to publishers. So I applied for a visa (they were required back then, not anymore nowadays) but, unfortunately, it was denied. So I couldn't go and my plans were ruined. On top of it all, the book had already been 80% completed in ENGLISH... So despite being a terrible idea, I still finished it and had it printed out on a mere whim. 

I was going to start attending anime/gaming shows where I live and I had to had something other than Prelude to Oblivion, which was in Spanish, and Terra Gaiden, which was in English. I needed another JRPG-inspired book, but one in SPANISH, so I wrote The Revenant Army right after finishing Terra Gaiden. No, it wasn't rushed. I did take my time writing the book without any pressure, so it wasn't a desperate attempt at finishing it before my first gaming show. 

So long story short, I did well in anime/gaming shows back then, Revenant sold well while Gaiden struggled a lot because of the language barrier. But by then I had revived my old YouTube channel back and started creating content for it. Of course, I'm talking about those slide-show videos that for some reason got hundreds of thousands of views. So I started promoting Terra Gaiden in those videos and it slowly started selling more. Today, it's a fan favorite and tons of readers have marked it as a great book.

So in February of 2023, I released the English translation of The Revenant Army and have also been promoting it in my videos and livestreams. It hasn't sold as well as Gaiden because it's only been available for a year and a half, but it's been doing alright. 

So now, both books are available in English on Amazon and you can surely find the links in the "books" section of this website. If you decide to read them, I hope you enjoy them and appreciate the passion for JRPGs that I had when I wrote them.

Thank you!